Sunday, March 9, 2025

Social Media for the School Librarian

My Pinterest is full of beautifully decorated libraries and fun bulletin boards. My Instagram is reel after reel of library book suggestions and anti-book banning advocacy. My YouTube is stocked with helpful videos I can use to teach media literacy and digital literacy. My bookmarks take me to listservs and blogs that help me make my lessons more standards-based and engaging. While I sometimes feel like I am operating in a silo, my digital library PLC is rich and crowded! Here are some suggestions for people to follow on social media:


@Maistorybooklibrary (Instagram)
(photo credit: @Maistorybooklibrary)

https://www.instagram.com/maistorybooklibrary?igsh=NTc4MTIwNjQ2YQ==

Maya Lê creates interactive read aloud videos and reading resources for young children. I admire the helpful book lists on a variety of timely topics, but more than that I admire her fierce advocacy for making sure every person’s story is on the shelves. Lê puts a lot of research and thought into her beautiful posts and she demonstrates absolute confidence in standing up to book bannings, hateful lawsuits targeting “other”, and recent executive orders. I aspire to be Maya Lê! 



Colby Sharp - (YouTube, Facebook, Instagram, and X)

(photo credit: https://nerdybookclub.wordpress.com/)

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCWlO9Px0e0kpORVcPRvJDCg

Book-loving 5th grade teacher based in Michigan. Videos include author talks, book talks, book lists, and tips for read alouds. Useful for understanding best recent releases and popular titles for the 11-and-under set. Sharp’s enthusiasm is infectious! 



Diana Rendina - (Blog and Pinterest)

http://www.RenovatedLearning.com

Rendina’s accounting of overhauling her library space is detailed in her book Reimagining Library Spaces. It is also on Pinterest and on her blog. Her pictures, need/solution descriptions, and step-by-step directions offer a lot of inspiration. I appreciate her budget-consciousness and the reflections on what worked and what needs improvement. Great source of inspiration for thinking about library spaces.



Mrs Readerpants (Blog)

https://www.readerpants.net/

This is a fabulous resource for the realities of elementary school librarianship and offers both hope, tangible suggestions, inspiration and reassurances. As someone who started out in librarianship with zero training, I appreciate her checkoff lists of what to do when opening a library, weeding, planning lessons, etc. Her suggestion that children “read off” their lost book fines is brilliant.



The Adventures of Library Girl (Blog)

(image credit: librarygirl.net)

https://www.librarygirl.net/blog

I learned about Jennifer LaGarde when going through some slides from the MSLA conference. Her books Fact VS Fiction: Teaching Critical Thinking In the Age of Fake News and Developing Digital Detectives show her focus on digital literacy, a topic that is front and center on my mind in this age of disinformation.There are all kinds of resources here (posters/infographics, slide decks, videos) to help librarians teach digital literacy in their classrooms. There is library gold here!



@TheBookWrangler (Instagram)

(image credit: @TheBookWrangler)

https://www.instagram.com/thebookwrangler/?hl=en

Mike Rawls specializes in KidLit curation, but there are great resources here for starting a school-wide book club, displaying Newbery winners, advocating for LGBTQ+ books in libraries, etc. He also has a huge freebies collection of gorgeous posters and bookmarks and more linked in his bio. This site is another win for me from a conversation at the MSLA conference!



@mrsjinthelibrary (YouTube)

https://www.youtube.com/@mrsjinthelibrary

This is a little dated, but there are plenty of good ideas in Mrs. J’s videos for elementary school librarians. I particularly like her video on teaching graphic novels and comics to early readers. Other helpful videos include preparing for back-to-school-night in the library, setting up your library in 5 days, posting to SeeSaw or Google Classroom, and the 6 essentials for a library website. 



@MissMoeTeaches (Instagram)

(image credit: @MissMoeTeaches)

https://www.instagram.com/missmoeteaches?igsh=NTc4MTIwNjQ2YQ==

Lisa Moe’s “magical library” is full of tech-centered literacy that helps her middle school students embrace life long learning. She models collaboration by having frequent guest speakers (in person and virtually). She is a frequent speaker and attendee at conferences centered on the future of education. She has a can-do attitude that pushes her to tackle all kinds of challenges with her students. This will be a helpful resource when tackling ‘next-level’ projects.


New EdTech Classroom (YouTube)

https://www.youtube.com/@NewEdTechClassroom 

Sam Kary produces videos on YouTube with the tagline: everything you need to know about teaching with technology. He walks you through the uses of various tech tools: Diffit, Pear Deck, NearPod, FigJam, etc. I'm grateful for the professionalism of his presentations and the no-nonsense way he presents the uses and benefits of the various tools. This is exactly what I need to evaluate whether it's worth my time to invest in learning a new tech tool!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Reflecting on technologies in the classroom

https://www.brookings.edu/articles/how-ed-tech -can-help-leapfrog-progress-in-education/ Back in January, I posted a list of 10 things teac...