Who doesn't love a good YA romance?! Enemies-to-friends, the slow burn, star-crossed lovers, opposites attract .... all are so deliciously fun! Recent favorites of mine include the Ember in the Ashes series by Sabaa Tahir, Give Me a Sign by Anna Sortino, The Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky, and - of course - Heartstopper by Alice Oseman. Here are some recent releases, all found at the lovely Spectator Books in Oakland, Calif., that I'm considering for my library:
Zhao, Ann. (2024). Dear Wendy. New York: Feiwel & Friends. Romance.Sophie and Jo are freshman in college, rival dating advice columnists, and - interestingly - aromantic. This is the story of two people exploring life and community, and learning to love each other as found family. I'm highlighting this book for a couple of reasons. One: it takes place at Wellesley in Massachusetts (love a local story!). Two: I don't know of any other YA novel that celebrates the importance of platonic friendships in the ace community. I remember reading Tash Hearts Tolstoy by Kathryn Omsbee back in 2018 and thinking, "Oh it's great that aromantic characters are appearing in novels." But, here's the thing... that book ends with Tash attempting a relationship with a boy. Zhao's book feels more honest, more reflective of the ace experience. This would be a first for our library.
After being stranded in a bus station, Darcy and Russell get to know each other, themselves, and their families in a rom-com inspired, breezy, and pun-laden 24 hours. This feels like a great summertime read, or escapist fare for busy teens. Matson has a strong fan group, but she's new to me and we don't have any of her books in our library. I like the writing style and swoon factor in this book, and also appreciate the fact that the characters only engage in kissing (Before Sunrise this is not!), making this a safe YA choice. I've heard Matson's writing described as 'comforting' - and who doesn't need a little comfort in these frantic days?? I'm highlighting this for the good writing, punchy dialogue and character development.... and acknowledge that there is a lack of diversity in the cast.
Ash is a closeted trans boy navigating Catholic school, his grandparents' unrealistic expectations, and a magical alternate dream world where he can be his true self. flyboy is being marketed as Simon vs. the Homo Sapiens Agenda mixed with The Night Circus -- both excellent reads -- so I'm pretty excited to get my hands on this one! The romance involves Ash and his trapeze partner Apollo, who appears at the school in the 'real world.' I love a good coming-of-age story and this one has all the hallmarks: misunderstood teen in strict household, (literal) dream partner who is out of reach, mom who comes through in the end, and the main character's gradual awareness that only through bravery and responsibility will he achieve a happy ending. I'm highlighting this book because we need more trans representation in YA literature.
Which one do you think I should buy?



No comments:
Post a Comment